After a long 9 months, our maternity unit attends to expectant mothers and guides them towards the last stage of their gestation period. The Tenwek Hospital maternity unit has a bed capacity of 117 and is served by a few semi-private rooms.
The unit is served by a team of qualified midwives, nurses, obstetricians, paediatricians and anaesthetists who provide comprehensive care for both mother and child before, during and after the birthing process.
On a daily average, the unit assists at least 8 -11 mothers to deliver naturally and performs at least 4 Caesarean section delivery procedures.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Newborn babies who need intensive medical attention are often admitted the Tenwek Hospital Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). The NICU combines advanced technology and trained health care professionals to provide specialized care for our tiniest patients. A majority of our patients are admitted for the following reasons:
- Babies with a small gestational age
- Birth weight of less than 2,500 grams
- Medication or resuscitation in the delivery room
- Birth defects
- Respiratory distress including rapid breathing, grunting, or apnea (stopping breathing)
- Infection such as herpes, group B streptococcus, chlamydia
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Need for extra oxygen or monitoring, intravenous (IV) therapy, or medications
- Need for special treatment or procedures such as a blood transfusion