Tenwek Hospital has been successfully running Medical Residency Programmes in different specialties for the past 20 years. As at now, our Residency programmes have 20 Surgical residents, 8 Family Medicine residents, 18 Associates and 20 faculty members.
Our General Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery Residency programmes are run under PAACS which is an affiliate of COSECSA. The two programmes are run separately and independent from each other. Our goal is to offer surgical training to Christian Surgeons who will then use their skills to glorify God and to offer compassionate care to those who need it the most.
How the Programme Runs
Both the General Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery Residency programmes are rigorous 5 year training programmes where residents undergo intensive classroom and operating training while covering the various facets of General Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery. The residents are also exposed to the pre-op and post-op care of patients as they serve within the Surgical Outpatient Clinic.
Before submitting your application, ensure that you the following conditions are met:
- Be a citizen of an African country and already have a current Kenyan medical license.
- Be a graduate of a recognized medical school and have successfully completed a one-year internship program as a medical officer.
- Be 35 years old or less and be fluent in English
- You must be a sincere follower of Jesus Christ as evidenced by your words, your actions and your lifestyle.
- Two strong recommendations will be required. One must be from the pastor or lay leader of your local church and one must be from a doctor who knows you well and has worked with you recently. These must be sent in separately (not from your e-mail address).
- Tenwek PAACS surgery residents will be sponsored by a sending organization (hospital, church, community or privately) or may apply for PAACS sponsorship. Only a limited number of PAACS scholarships/sponsorships are available. After completion of their surgery training, residents who were sponsored by PAACS will be asked to serve as a surgeon in an under-served area of Africa for a period of one year of service for each year of sponsorship.
To apply for the programme, follow the link https://www.paacs.net/paacs-training-centers/tenwek-bomet-kenya/
Should you face any challenges or should you require additional information on the training programmes write to firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: The complete application is due by September 15 of the year prior to beginning training January 1. The application has multiple parts so begin early and be aware that the full application with all accompanying documents needs to be completed by September 15.
At Tenwek, we offer a fully accredited Cardiothoracic Fellowship to surgical consultants who have finished their masters and have been certified. This is a 5 year training program where fellows are immersed into a rigorous training schedule which combines both classroom, clinical & theatre experience.
The fellowship programme focuses on:
- Providing professional education and state-of-the-art care for a broad spectrum of cardiothoracic and foregut diseases
- Producing fully trained, competent, innovative, and compassionate CT surgeons.
- Offering hands-on training, as well as research opportunities. Research represents an important component of our fellowship programme
For more details on how to apply to the programme, contact email@example.com
In collaboration with Kabarak University, Tenwek Hospital offers a 4-year residency training in Master of Medicine, Family Medicine option. Our teaching method combines classroom training and clinical experience enabling our residents to become holistic and compassionate doctors.
The training covers a wide spectrum of units including and not limited to:
- Outpatient and Inpatient skills
- Critical thinking skills and Diagnostician skills
- Emergency Medicine and Surgical skills
- Communication skills
- Scientific foundation in medicine ( EBM, Research, and QI)
- Professional values and ethical behavior
- Community focus: Population health
- Health Systems: Leadership and management skills
- Spiritual integration in practice
To apply for the programme, follow the link https://kabarak.ac.ke/course/master-of-medicine-in-family-medicine/
We are pleased to inform you that we have received approval from PAACS to begin training resident in the OB/GYN specialty. At the moment, we are in the process of curriculum refinement and setting up the structures of governance and training modules.
At the end of the residency period, doctors will have exposure to General Obstetrics and Gynecology and the subspecialties of:
- Family Planning
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
- Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility
- Sexual Medicine
- Urogynecology & Pelvic Reconstruction
Keep checking our page for information as to when the application process begins!